Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Recommend "Flight Patterns"

Among the stories I have read, I would recommend “Flight Patterns” to my friend. I would recommend “Flight Patterns” to my friend because of the story deals with modern day stereotypes, which we all deal with today. I enjoy how each character develops throughout the story and think that my friend can relate to William’s character. Using characterization, William’s character is pretty much revealed and we know almost everything about him.
The story starts off describing William’s life and continues on with William getting ready to leave for the airport and saying his goodbyes to his wife and daughter. The main part of the story then comes when Williams enters a cab and starts the conversation with the cab driver, Fekadu.
The literary concept in this story is mainly Characterization. The story has details of each character. The actions and descriptions of each character reveal a lot about them and their conversation with one another reveals many things about them. Williams’s conversation with his wife reveals that he really loves her, but they can joke around and his conversation with his daughter reveals that that they both love each other and she is actually pretty smart for her age. The conversation with Fedaku reveals many things about William. How they both get stereotype and hate it, but also stereotypes others. Being a Third person omniscient, the narrator describes each character, especially William, in dept so that we know almost everything about them.
I would recommend this story to my friend because since the author uses characterization, we can find out who the characters are and in this story I think that my friends can relate to the characters and the story deals with stereotypes where we can all relate too.

No comments:

Post a Comment